It is very important for a child to have ample time to engage in play, as the developmental benefits of play are numerous. For example, did you know that jumping up and down on the ground is great for kids while jumping on safe indoor trampolines is even better?
Yes, even jumping fosters development. And it’s great that it does, because little rascals are meant to run, jump, and explore as much as they can. Let’s see how playing in an indoor playground in Avondale AZ can improve your child’s life!
What activities help child development?
When it comes to activities that help children speed up their journey through different developmental phases, there are so many it is difficult to even list them all. We’ve tried to sift through them and present you with the most important ones:
- Sand – Playing in sand is a great way for your child to develop self-confidence, and it provides the foundation for scientific learning. And, if all the sifting, pouring, digging and scooping is done with a friend, your child will learn sharing and teamwork.
- Water – Playing with water allows children to experiment with concepts such as volume in a safe environment. It also improves hand-eye coordination and boosts physical strength.
- Play dough – With play dough, a child can develop motor skills, improve creativity, boost hand-eye coordination, and strengthen those cute little fingers.
- Role-play and dress-up – When your child puts on a costume, imagination starts to run wild. This provides a great opportunity to learn about different adult professions, while also stir up your child’s interests.
- Painting and drawing – There is no better way to express creativity than through drawing and painting. Additionally, it allows kids to learn about movements necessary for writing, and to experiment with colors.
- Building blocks – Playing with building blocks provides opportunity for the development of spatial thinking, ordering, logical reasoning and learning about sizes, shapes, and colors.
- Music – Singing along helps improve language skills, while also giving kids an opportunity to express themselves in a different way, while dancing develops coordination, flexibility, and strength.
- Jumping, running, climbing… – Various physical activities allow children to increase their resilience, improve motor skills, boost their strength and learn how to overcome challenges.
- Nature play – Playing in nature allows kids to learn about the world around them, its laws, and restrictions. It’s also very healthy and makes children more inquisitive and independent.
- Board games – Playing basic board games with friends is a great way to teach children about the importance of teamwork, sharing, and turn-taking.
- Cardboard box – No, we’re not kidding. Give your child a cardboard box and see what happens. Children always find the most imaginative ways to use items, so your child can use the box to become an astronaut, a driver… There are no limits.
Why is play important for children’s development?
Play is important for many reasons, some of which we may have already mentioned. But, seeing all those reasons in one place might make it easier to understand just how paramount it is for children to be able to play freely.
- Literacy – While playing with others, kids make various sounds, try out different vocabulary, and lay down the foundations of storytelling.
- Learning – Playing can take on many forms, and through those various forms children learn more than we can imagine.
- Communication – When playing with peers, children learn important aspects of communication.
- Spontaneity – Children learn how to be spontaneous by making quick decisions while playing.
- Choice – By having the opportunity to use different toys and participate in various activities, it is up to the children to make the choice.
- Space – Children need space to express themselves and practise their balance, test their limits, and improve their physical movement, and play gives them just what they need.
- Body language – Not everything has to be spoken. Playing involves various aspects of non-verbal communication, and it allows children to learn how to use it and read it.
- Patience – Taking turns and waiting for someone else to finish provides children with an opportunity to learn patience.
- Fun – Finally, it’s fun, and there’s no need to explain that further!
How does play affect a child’s development?
In a single word – positively! Honestly, there are no downsides when it comes to children participating in play. Play fosters development in different areas – physical, cognitive, emotional, social, creative, expressive…
The list just goes on and on. It doesn’t even matter if children play by themselves or with others. Either way, there are benefits to be reaped, fun to be had, and limits to be explored. So, if you’re ever wondering if playing is good for kids, don’t – it’s incredible!
“Where in Avondale AZ can I take my child to play indoors?”
If you’re looking for a good indoor playground in Avondale AZ, you’re in luck, because Uptown Jungle is not only a good playground but the greatest indoor playground you could ever hope to find.
It is our mission to provide children with the perfect place for them to express themselves, have fun, and develop. So, if you’re ever on your way to Avondale Public Library, stop by our playground and see what we’re about.